Pick up the phone and contact Christchurch business; they need your support – most are open for business!
Here is a list of ways you can support the community in Canterbury after the devastating earthquake.
Prime Minister John Key (via the NZ Herald) said the best way people from around New Zealand and the world can help is to make cash donations (to reputable, non scammy sources) to help the city and its residents get back on their feet.
To offer help to Christchurch Businesses go here: http://www.nzbizhelp.co.nz/
PLEDGE A DONATION TO:
- The Citizens of Christchurch Mayoral Fund using the following BNZ bank account: 02-0800-084958-000.
- The Red Cross online via the GrabOne website ($5, $10, $20) or if you’re on Vodafone TXT ‘QUAKE’ to 555 to donate $5 or TXT ‘QUAKE’ to 333 to donate $3.
- The Salvation Army by either donating online or calling 0800 53 00 00 (specify that your donation is for the ‘Canterbury Earthquake Appeal’) or in your local bank branch at:
- ANZ Bank branches: Account number 01-1839-0188939-00
- National Bank branches: Account number 06-0869-0548507-00
- Westpac Bank branches: Account number 03-0207-0617331-00
- ASB Bank branches: Account number 12-3205-0146808n Key sa-00
- BNZ Bank branches: Account number 02-0500-0982004-000
- Kiwibank branches: Account number: 38-9009-0759479-00
There are other ways that you can help such as…
OFFER ACCOMODATION VIA:
- TradeMe’s Emergency Accomodation Board
- Quake Escape’s Accomodation Board
- Residents in Wellington can help by providing free accommodation by calling (04) 801 4205 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Auckland residents can call 0800 AUCKLAND to register spare beds in their houses.
DONATE YOUR SERVICES/SHOW YOUR SUPPORT IN OTHER WAYS:
- Contribute to the Christchurch SPCA’s Pet Emergency Earthquake Fund either here or to the Westpac account 030802 0586429 00.
- Paw Justice is sending food shipments to pets in Christchurch affected by the earthquake. Text “FOOD” to 4662 to donate $3.
- Create a ‘Softie’ for the children of Christchurch via Kiwi At Heart blog.
- Donate an old/spare analoghome phone into your local Telecom store (ie doesn’t run on power) to be sent down to Christchurch.
NB: The NZ Blood Service (at 3.59pm on Wednesday 23 February) said: “Thanks everyone for the overwhelming offers to donate blood. We’ve been monitoring our stocks and it’s all looking good. If you have an appointment booked, look forward to seeing you. Otherwise PLEASE make an appointment before dropping in. If we need any more blood donations we’ll let you know through FB and our website. Cheers.”