Filed in Design Ideas & Inspiration, Organic Gardening, The Environment on July 27, 2010 with no comments
It’s hard to believe that many backyard gardens and landscapes can have a negative impact on the environment. However, ECO‐Friendly gardens and landscapes can reduce these potentially harmful elements and ensure the health and sustainability of a garden can be maintained for generations to come.
Eco friendly landscapes are the first step on the way to sustainability at a local level. Indeed, sustainability is important for the human benefit and the well being of our children, but we must all agree with the fact that we must reduce the use of non organic fertilisers which is a major cause of water pollution and ongoing expense.
Another source of pollution is the use of pesticides, which can kill beneficial insects and can even kill birds and other wildlife that feed on the affected insects. While chemical pesticides can eliminate a short term problems, the long term solution is good soil health and careful planning and design.
Moreover, the production of synthetic fertilizer and pesticides requires fossil fuels as inputs and freight from the other side of the world – this increases CO2 emissions and contributes to global warming.
Fortunately, Aesthetic Landscapes.co.nz can help you to change this. Aesthetic Landscapes.co.nz has won many awards including the Auckland International Flower Show “ Best in Show, Green Award” in 2008 and has the experience from small backyard gardens to residential and commercial landscape architecture and we are here to help everyone start making those changes because each little piece we contribute will be helping toward a bigger collective of change.
You can start making a change today, to make your landscape greener by following
these simple steps.
- Conserve water. Instead of turning on the sprinkler and letting it run for hours, consider a drip‐irrigation system in your landscape.
- Go native. Local plants will grow best in your soil with the least assistance from chemical intervention.
- Avoid chemicals. Find organic alternatives of these products. Aesthetic
- Landscapes.co.nz can advise on the best products for your purpose because we have used these before.
- Keep the wood products safe. I.E, keep the wood products you use for your fencing or décor ecologically‐friendly. Aesthetic Landscapes.co.nz can also supply these products to you too.
- Don’t use peat. Many people use peat for décor and moisture retention in their gardens, but this resource is very slow to regenerate and is not effectively sustainable. Let the sun shine in. It may go without saying, that your landscape needs sunlight, but so do your landscape lights and accessories. Opt for solar generated lights or fountains to lower your traditional energy source use.
For more information on how Aesthetic Landscapes.co.nz can help you, give
Angelique a call on either 09 5247108 or 0275 197108 or see her business listing and website for more information.